What you will need:
- Gallon size glass jar
- 1 gallon of brewed sweetened tea (use 1 cup of organic cane sugar per gallon of tea)
- SCOBY and 1 cup of liquid from a previous batch of Kombucha
- Cheesecloth and a rubber band
1. Prepare the sweet tea. Add 1 cup of organic cane sugar.
2. Let tea cool to room temperature as hot tea can kill your SCOBY.
3. Once the tea is cool, pour it into a glass jar, leaving a couple of inches of room at the top. Pour in 1/2 cup liquid from a previous batch of Kombucha or 1/2 cup from a store-bought bottle of Kombucha.
4. Add the SCOBY and the starter liquid.
5. Cover the jar and keep tight with a rubber band. Let it sit on a counter or inside a cupboard for 7-10 days. Taste regularly – it should taste tart and sweet.
6. Kombucha is now ready for a second ferment or for drinking. If you aren't doing the second ferment, pour the kombucha into jars with airtight lids and seal until ready to drink.
If you’re looking for carbonation, a second ferment is in order:
1. Get a few bottles with tight caps/seals.
2. Pour the finished Kombucha into the bottles until about 1 inch from the top. Make sure to leave about 1/2 cup brewed Kombucha in the jar with the SCOBY for your next batch.
3. Flavour with sliced ginger, berries or other fruit.
4. Tightly cap the bottles and leave at room temperature for another 2-7 days until carbonated to your taste.
5. Refrigerate before drinking